Sunday, April 10, 2005

Difference of my original letter and the adopted one

As received from the Time magazine, I found my letter to the editor in the "Letters" section of Time on April 11. That was my second letter when I restarted to send my opinion to Time magazine for the first time in nine years. Please find the defference between my original letter and the adopted one.

1. My original letter to the article "The End of Poverty" Page 32 of Time, March 14,2005

Your article of the poverty in Africa knocked me on the head because of the nature of this tragedy.The sudden natural disasters like an earthquake off Sumatra and the following massive tsunami could mobilize a large number of people and money for a short period of time. On the contrary, a slow but a massive wave of poverty and death in Africa is often very difficult to attract world’s attention. We should not count the number of the dead like eight million each year in Africa and 290,000 off Sumatra when we try to do something good for the people devastated by those disasters. The life of one person weighs the heaviest for his family and those who loved him/her. I myself can’t do anything for the African people but try to support Jeffery D. Sachs’ efforts for them.

Time on April 11,2005 Posted by Hello

2. Adopted one by the Time magazine on April 11, 2005

Extreme poverty is so tragic. Sudden natural disasters like a tsunami mobilize a large number of people and money for a short period of time, while the slow but massive wave of poverty and death in Africa doesn't attract world's attention in the same way. When we try to help those affected by disasters and extreme poverty, however, we shouldn't focus on the overwhelming number of the dead but simply try to do something good for others.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home